Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medication. Never before have many scientific developments and new techniques emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, uses millions of individuals the chance to reduce or eliminate their need for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio ads are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgery as the quick and painless method to fix vision, however stories are likewise appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will more than happy with your results?
The essential to safe surgery in any field of medication is an informed patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting recommendations from other doctors or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be fooled by elegant advertisements about a specific laser. Choose the doctor, not the laser.
3. Select a physician who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a physician doesn't understand can injure you.
4. Request info on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. If your doctor won't inform you, discover another one. For leading cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask what procedures are required to avoid infection. Try to find a center with a dust-free or sterile operating space. Make certain that non reusable parts are not recycled. Firmly insist that your eye is thoroughly disinfected, and insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected before your eye laser surgical treatment to remove the risk of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Be careful of next advertisements pressing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgery is as great as a discount rate parachute.
Expect to see very well after look these up LASIK, however don't expect to see completely. As with any eye laser surgery, results are as private as each client. Be careful of any physician who promises 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. You're not buying a vehicle; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely use much better vision than LASIK. Ask your physician about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, don't lose sight original site of the advantages: for the majority of people, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually enhanced the eyesight of millions of individuals all over the world.